[TriLUG] OT: internet-based alarm service - Asterisk, of course!

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Sun Apr 26 21:43:18 EDT 2009

A while back, Bruce Schneier (a very accomplished cryptographer and more
recently, a security pundit with a healthy dose of common sense)
referenced a few articles in his "Schneier on Security" blog, about
burglars and their methods and motivations.

The articles on burglar security advice:
http://www.pfadvice.com/2007/02/05/...
<http://www.pfadvice.com/2007/02/05/the-best-place-to-hide-money-conversation-with-a-burglar/>
http://www.pfadvice.com/2007/03/06/...
<http://www.pfadvice.com/2007/03/06/dont-hide-money-in-the-toilet-more-conversation-with-a-burglar/>

Bruce's blog entry that referenced these:
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/05/tactics_targets.html
http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-0706.html

These are very good articles to read.  The points I took away:
 - Most burglars are looking for drug money.
 - Unusual or "dirty" places like toilets don't deter drug addicts (who
usually hide their drugs in the toilet anyway).

I highly recommend Bruce's blog for anyone who is interested in hacking,
black hats vs white, dumb criminals, freedom vs security, and especially
airline security.

Alan

.