[TriLUG] Cronolog

Patrick Brewer patwbrewer at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 29 12:18:32 EDT 2009

Cronolog allows you to pipe your logs to it, it will then write the logs to a file and create a new file on a time or I believe size, of your choosing.  We all ways used it to do daily break over. Then you use logrotate or something similar to compress the old logs.

This provides something like the functionality of log4j with applications that don't support auto-rolling of logs, and won't work with logrotate without a restart.

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009, Patrick Brewer wrote:

> At my previous job we used cronolog to rotate some unfriendly logs. There
> were some features I'd like to add.  But it looks like the project hasn't
> been touched in a couple of years.
>
> Anyone still use it?  What is a replacement?

I've never heard of it to be honest.

What does it do? What do you require? If all you want is to rotate log files
(and compress them etc.) then pretty much everybody I know uses logrotate for
that.

   Andy