[TriLUG] phpBB and spam FW: Activate user account

Peter Neilson neilson at windstream.net
Wed Apr 29 14:56:58 EDT 2009

Jason Watts wrote:
> A friend of mine uses phpBB.  I know one of his methods was to validate each
> user individually... He eventually switched to another board type...  He got
> hacked and was being used as a spam email generator several times.

With my tech-writer hat on, I was looking for free-lance TW jobs, and
came across some that involved "writing" to get past captcha and other
filters. Particularly obvious were the ones asking, "Help us post on
Craig List. Must have xx identities or more." Neither my hourly rate nor
my ethics were low enough for those jobs to captcha my interest.

I think that there are existing hacks to unravel captcha presentations
automatically, although I've not looked for them.

I've heard that the best filters are the ones you build yourself, such
as asking, "Please enter the sum of 15, three and 22." Your program of
course selects the numbers at random each time.

Another method, precisely matched to the religious nature of the website
(although perhaps overly daunting), would be to use Scripture or
tradition: "Add Lent to the Days in the Wilderness. What is the result?"
"Fill in the blank: Matthew, Mark, ____." If those prove insufficient,
you can go a bit deeper: "Explain the Book of Job." "Did Adam have a
navel? Discuss from at least three perspectives." "Salvation through
works or through faith? Discuss both perspectives in 500 words or
fewer." "Millerite religions: Your personal view, please, refraining
from invective."