[TriLUG] TW and Embarq work to keep Wilson style internet from spreading

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Fri May 1 00:20:31 EDT 2009

I think Mark Turner put it rather well - for two year's salary of Time
Warner's CEO the town of Wilson installed a municipal broadband systems that
TWC was unwilling to do.  Hence TWC went into "if the rest of the people
catch on and we're screwed" mode.  And they are.  It's sick the prices we
pay for limited uploads and throttled downloads.

Case in point?  My parents in Scottsdale.  They get, via speedtest.net,
routine 17 meg down, 2 meg up.  Yeah, the upload is still restricted but 17
meg for "basic" serivce.. what TWC customer doesn't want that?  Hell, I got
15/15 meg service when I lived in South Korea.

We're being controlled here, people.  It's time to level teh playing field,
espeicially in communties where the big "providers" choose not to offer
competive service.