[TriLUG] municipal networks

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Fri May 1 11:05:47 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Alan Porter <porter at trilug.org> wrote:
>> b) Home-grown ala Wilson's style - How hard would this be to
>> do / cost / time - for Raleigh, for Cary, for Durham, for Garner?
>

> It was my understanding that the Town of Cary wanted to install a
> fiber network and sell franchises to TWC and others.  I am not
> sure why, but the plan was apparently scrapped.  Soon after that,
> the town ran a ton of fiber along major routes, supposedly to
> network the stop lights together.  Huh???
>
> All of this is rumor and speculation.  I'd be interested if someone
> knows the actual facts, and could share them.

The Wilson network started as simply a fiber line connecting
all the city facilities[1].  The city was then approached by
local businesses asking if they could connect too and it
went from there.  As long as the infrastructure (and that's
really what network access is these days) is there, it's not
too hard to extend it.

Cheers,
Tanner

[1] http://savencbb.wordpress.com/2009/04/27/the-beginning-of-greenlight/