[TriLUG] An Apple Puzzle

Rodney Radford rradford at mindspring.com
Fri May 1 21:19:20 EDT 2009

Argh - it is in Arizona or I would seriously love to go after this one. My first jobs in college were based on developing applications (mainly educational) for Apple and TRS-80 systems.

Since there have been so few finds, I don't want to work through to the answer and just give it away, but here are a few ideas to at least get you in the right direction.

The first line, "call -151" drops you into the monitor where you enter in a series of opcodes at address 300, and then you jump into the code at address 300 to run it.

So the first question is how do you disassemble the hex codes into 6502 instructions?  The most obvious options include:
    * an apple emulator (you could simply copy/paste the text from the geocache page)
    * a 6502 disassembler
    * hand disassembly

Given that you don't expect to do any other 6502/Apple disassembly, it will probably be easiest to simply go the hand approach and convert each byte to a printable instruction.

Luckily the 6502 is a fairly easy to understand assembly language (long before RISC vs CISC arguments, when basically everything was RISC-ish in style).

The 6502 only has 3 registers - an 8bit accumulator and two 16bit index registers X and Y. The cache description mentions there is an obvious error where an X/Y is wrong in one of the instructions.

Let me know if you have any specific questions once you start, but I suspect the biggest 'hurdle' with this cache is that it requires a) someone who likes puzzles, b) a puzzler who is a programmer, and c) someone who wants to go through all the necessary steps to get to the answer. You already have the first two in your favor, so the third just requires the time to work through it.

Good luck, and please let us know if you get it.  It would be fun to create a Z80 cache similar in idea to that here... hmmm.. ;-)