[TriLUG] Spamhaus PBL'd...

Brian Henning Brian.Henning at datadirect.com
Tue May 5 17:43:55 EDT 2009

Hi Gang,

I got the following response to a message I tried to send to TriLUG a
little while ago:

<trilug at trilug.org>: host mail.trilug.org[64.244.27.136] said: 554 5.7.1
    Service unavailable; Client host [71.65.244.21] blocked using
    zen.spamhaus.org; http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=71.65.244.21
(in
    reply to RCPT TO command)

This is due to a Policy Block List (PBL) in which Time Warner Cable
voluntarily participates, which includes my IP (71.64.0.0/13):
http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/query/PBL238358

Since it's usually understood that things like PBLs should be taken as
hints (right?), why is mail.trilug.org refusing mail from my server
based on that criterion?

Especially TriLUG, since how many of us might want to run our own mail
servers (but have a residential ISP service), and since the community
would generally encourage such a thing?

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS?!?!?!

Just kidding on the angst bit, but it would be cool if my mail would go
through. :-)

Cheers,
~Brian

Brian A. Henning
   DataDirect
Support Engineer
  888-332-6797
Find answers in our new knowledgebase:
http://cp-datadirect.talismaonline.com/display/4/search.aspx?tab=search

Download patches and manage support cases online:
http://www.datadirect.com/support/troubleshooting/reportacase/index.ssp