[TriLUG] TW and Embarq work to keep Wilson style internet from spreading

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Tue May 5 20:28:07 EDT 2009

Paul McLanahan wrote:
> The big difference is that not everyone who pays those taxes wants or
> needs the internet.

Not everyone who pays taxes wants parks, convention centers, welfare
programs....  It is a slippery slope.  One which our society, for better
or for worse, passed decades ago.

And I guess that's a core part of the debate. At one time, Internet was
a luxury or toy.  Many now believe it is now more of an infrastructure,
like roads, that benefits all of us to a degree - even if we don't
personally use it.  If it is more efficient for government to provide
as part of the infrastructure, then it makes sense for the govt to make
it a service.  That's a big "IF", of course...and not one that I
necessarily buy into.

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software & Services