[TriLUG] TW and Embarq work to keep Wilson style internet from spreading

Michael Kimsal mgkimsal at gmail.com
Tue May 5 22:43:58 EDT 2009

I have, but that was paid for at that time by those taxpayers (and my family
was among those taxpayers).   But there are also many people that never
attend any public school, attend private school and send their kids to
private schools.   They still pay taxes which support that public
infrastructure.

Is internet service something we should regard as something on par with
basic telephone/telecom and electricity and water?  I tend to think so.
This isn't just an issue of people surfing youtube at home.  Small
businesses will locate where there's strong internet connectivity.  Smaller
towns lose out in this respect.  Students being able to take advantage of
distance learning from home (sick, disabled, accelerated, whatever) is an
issue as well - some students don't have access to good internet service and
are not able to access learning resources that students in other areas can.

If private companies won't provide reasonable and competitive internet
access in an area, local governments should certainly be allowed to provide
that service.

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 10:36 PM, Christopher L Merrill <
chris at webperformance.com> wrote:

> Michael Kimsal wrote:
>
>> Not everyone who pays taxes has kids that go to school, but that's still
>> funded from my taxes.
>>

> To be complete, you should probably include a statement that you've never
> attended an educational institution that accepted public funds.  You
> haven't, right?
>
> Chris

Michael Kimsal
http://jsmag.com - for javascript developers