[TriLUG] [OT] E-mail privacy disclaimers

Paul McLanahan pmclanahan at gmail.com
Wed May 13 15:28:07 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Shawn Hood <shawnlhood at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just curious if anyone has had to fight evil corporate powers that
> want to include an e-mail privacy/confidentiality disclaimer/statement
> in e-mails.  It has always seemed wasteful and perhaps pointless to
> me.  I know this is no legal forum, but perhaps someone on the list
> has compiled some research to fight this kind of effort?  Save the
> bandwidth and storage for something more meaningful!  ;)

In my situation, $WORK wanted me to include some legal-speak, along
with a logo and some other HTML crap. I hate HTML email, so to combat
this I switched to plaintext (this is $WORK email, where HTML is the
norm) and kept the legalese. I didn't check, but my guess is that I'm
saving bandwidth, even after the addition of the lawyer-talk, just by
switching to plaintext email. I know I'm at least saving over the
people w/ graphics. If only I could block graphics coming from the
exchange server all together.

Paul