[TriLUG] [OT] E-mail privacy disclaimers

Ivan Panarusky panaruskyi at gmail.com
Wed May 13 16:00:53 EDT 2009

My guess is that it is more to scare people to do the right thing, rather
than for any real protection.

Oh, and BTW
"This e-mail message, including any attachments and previous email messages
sent with it, contains CONFIDENTIAL and PROPRIETARY information of Foobar,
Inc. or its subsidiaries and may be legally PRIVILEGED. You may not use,
disclose, reproduce or distribute such information without Foobar's
authorization. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately and permanently delete the original message, its
attachments and any copies thereof."

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 3:58 PM, William Sutton <william at trilug.org> wrote:

> I just let them do it; I can't speak for how legally binding they are, but
> my guess would be "not at all."  It looks tacky, especially when everyone
> respomds to the email with their identical disclaimer statements, but is it
> really worth getting put out about?
>
> William Sutton
>

> On Wed, 13 May 2009, Shawn Hood wrote:
>
>  All,
>>
>> Just curious if anyone has had to fight evil corporate powers that
>> want to include an e-mail privacy/confidentiality disclaimer/statement
>> in e-mails.  It has always seemed wasteful and perhaps pointless to
>> me.  I know this is no legal forum, but perhaps someone on the list
>> has compiled some research to fight this kind of effort?  Save the
>> bandwidth and storage for something more meaningful!  ;)
>>

>> --
>> Shawn Hood
>> 910.670.1819 m
>> --