[TriLUG] [OT] E-mail privacy disclaimers

Greg Cox glcox at pobox.com
Wed May 13 16:15:29 EDT 2009

> I just let them do it; I can't speak for how legally binding they are, but my
> guess would be "not at all."  It looks tacky, especially when everyone
> respomds to the email with their identical disclaimer statements, but is it
> really worth getting put out about?

At a former job, nobody thought about the fact that alarms from the
monitoring system went out via email.  Nice twitter-sized messages suddenly
started taking 4-5 texts to deliver "It's 8pm, hostname is DOWN! -- don't
retransmit this message without the express written consent of your mom or
major league shuffleboard, lorem ipsum dolor sit amet objects in mirror may
be barbara streisand."

The beancounters who got to eat a bunch of expense reports for lines that
"shouldn't have a text plan" thought it was worth getting cranky
about.