[TriLUG] Favorite hosting providers

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Tue May 19 13:25:49 EDT 2009

Patrick Brewer wrote:
> What are peoples favorite hosting providers?  Ideally I'd like to
> find someone that is CHEAP for a prototype stage, but can scale to
> a few 1000 daily visitors. The Site will be mostly (if not all)
> PHP/MySQL based.

I recommend that you avoid 1&1 -- their servers are inconsistent and
at times slow, and their tech support and billing support and got
folks who are not knowledgeable and not empowered to fix things.

I've had good luck with Fat Cow.  I've been with them for 8 years
now, and a few years back they turned sour.  But since then they have
upgraded and improved their knowledge base, and the last couple of
years have been great.  Linux based, all of the right tools and
services available, but not necessarily cheap: $99/yr plus some
initial one-time cost to setup MySQL and some of the other options.

On the cheap-cheap, there is always Google Hosting and Go-Daddy,
though I'll leave to other members here to comment on their efficacy.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA