[TriLUG] OT: Wordpress Hack

Tarus Balog tarus at opennms.org
Thu Jun 4 15:52:12 EDT 2009

On Jun 4, 2009, at 3:28 PM, Allen Freeman wrote:

> Neat trick, blaming insecure code on the language.

Hey, it was a bit of a joke - didn't mean to offend anyone. It's just
that it seems harder to write secure code in PHP vs. other languages,
at least in terms of the number of exploits that affect my servers.
Both Wordpress and Joomla! have caused me problems, and as for PHP
apps they are pretty top notch, so I think the language has to share
some of the blame.

Note - I don't write code and don't have a horse in this race, but on
one server we just totally removed PHP because of security issues.
Anyone got a good replacement for Squirrelmail (not that it was
vulnerable, but it is written in PHP and so doesn't work on my box
anymore)?

-T

Tarus Balog, OpenNMS Maintainer             Main:   +1 919 533 0160
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.                     Fax:    +1 773 345 3645
Email: tarus at opennms.org                    URL: http://www.opennms.org
PGP Key Fingerprint: 8945 8521 9771 FEC9 5481  512B FECA 11D2 FD82 B45C