[TriLUG] June Meeting Streaming Experiment

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 10:36:53 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Joseph Tate<dragonstrider at gmail.com> wrote:
> Technical difficulties.  Apparently the ustream isn't stable.

"isn't stable" is putting EXTREMELY mildly.  Like I said, this was an
experiment.
It seemed to go well at first, but then the software (flash based) crashed
and that's when things went to hell in a handbasket. :-(  After basically
restarting the software probably 20-30 times (including having to reboot
3 times) I gave up. :-(

However, I did notice that we had up to 10 or so people watching the
stream at any given time.  Based on that, it sounds like if we could
figure out a stable way of live broadcasting meetings it would be very cool.
Also, it sounds like it would be better if we had some way to make the
slides much bigger on a broadcast stream.  My guess is that would probably
either take 2 cameras or a direct feed from the projector.  I'm not ready
to give up on this just yet, but it does sound like we have some significant
technical challenges.

If anyone has some suggestions on how to proceed, I would love to hear
them, thanks!

Cheers,
Tanner
--