[TriLUG] MVS mainframes

Ken Mink ken.mink at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 12:20:13 EDT 2009

My last job was doing *NIX, OS400 and z/OS development. z/OS and *NIX
run on computers and that's about where the similarities end. There is
an add-on product for z/OS call UNIX System Services that creates a
unix environment, complete with filesystems and processes. It's akin
for a virtual machine, but not quite.

I was able to muddle through writing some code, but with lots of hand
holding from the real z/OS guys. There is no way I could have admin'ed
one of those beasts. Most stuff is still assembly code. It's a whole
other world.