[TriLUG] Zip Disk Pyramid Sculpture

Rob Lineberger rob.lineberger at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 13:46:38 EDT 2009

Exec summary
~~~~~~~~~~~~
As jjmojojjmojo kindly mentioned on #trilug, I'm working on a sculpture
series called "Remixed Media." To make a brief story short, I'd like as
many Zip disks as possible to give this project its full impact. So if
you have any zip disks laying around, please consider donating them to
this cause. I hope to enter this sculpture into the Juried show at
Durham Art Guild this fall.

Please email me at rob_lineberger at med.unc.edu if you have the goods.

More info
~~~~~~~~~

To see the planned design, visit:
http://picasaweb.google.com/robsspamtrapper/ZipPyramid?authkey=Gv1sRgCL3X1tuPjuCz2wE

The disks will  be completely broken down for use in other sculpture
projects. So there will be a 100% landfill reduction.

I don't own a zip disk reader, and I'm a HIPAA security officer at UNC
Med School, and I can process 10 zip disks in approximately 2 minutes,
so judge the safety of your data by those measures. :)

I work in Chapel Hill and live in Durham so I'm willing to pick up in
either of those locations. If you have disks and live beyond, like say
in the far reaches of Raleigh, Cary, etc, please contact me.

*   *   *   *   *

There's a folk story about a jester who helped out the king, and the
king says "what do you want in return?" and the jester says "I want one
penny."

"That's it?"

"Yes," said the jester, "but there's more. Tomorrow I want two pennies.
Then the next day I want 4 pennies, then 8, doubling the number of
pennies every day, for this whole month. Then I'll never ask you for
anything again."

If you do the math, you'll see that the King was flat broke by the end
of the month. This zip disc pyramid is like that. Making a 4" pyramid
takes 19 disks. making an 8" pyramid takes 85 disks. My goal is a 24"
pyramid, which will take a whopping 631 discs. Hence this email. Thanks!