[TriLUG] OT: DTV transition and new ATSC frequencies

Mark Turner jmarkturner at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 09:17:13 EDT 2009

Andrew Rankin wrote:

> "Some viewers of UNC-TV's over-the-air digital signal in the Chapel
> Hill area -- the signal from WUNC Channel 25 -- are experiencing
> reception problems following the federally-mandated shutoff of all
> analog television signals.

Wow, so even viewers in the Chapel Hill area are having trouble getting
the signal? And they're blaming it on a low-power Durham station? That
sounds like a bigger problem than they're letting on.

I heard this from my brother:

"I e-mailed them. They are upgrading their analog antenna to digital -
they have a digital one already, but the strength is not enough to reach
all their viewing areas (i.e. my house). Techie suggested better antenna
or waiting 90-120 days for project completion."

I sure hope it doesn't take three months to get my UNC-TV back!

Mark