[TriLUG] OT: DTV transition and new ATSC frequencies

bidwell bidwell at dead-city.org
Sun Jun 14 10:43:20 EDT 2009

Mark Turner wrote:
> Andrew Rankin wrote:
>
>> "Some viewers of UNC-TV's over-the-air digital signal in the Chapel
>> Hill area -- the signal from WUNC Channel 25 -- are experiencing
>> reception problems following the federally-mandated shutoff of all
>> analog television signals.
>>

> Wow, so even viewers in the Chapel Hill area are having trouble getting
> the signal? And they're blaming it on a low-power Durham station? That
> sounds like a bigger problem than they're letting on.
>
> I heard this from my brother:
>
> "I e-mailed them. They are upgrading their analog antenna to digital -
> they have a digital one already, but the strength is not enough to reach
> all their viewing areas (i.e. my house). Techie suggested better antenna
> or waiting 90-120 days for project completion."
>
> I sure hope it doesn't take three months to get my UNC-TV back!
>
> Mark

Well, if you're a regular UNC viewer, I'm sure you're used to UNC
taking off their regular programing for 6 weeks at a time to air
new age snake oil salesmen.  Despite all those warnings from the
members of this Old House.... I naively thought that if I had my
HDTV working fine Thursday, it would be working Sunday.  Now
I only get 3 channels after getting dozens before the switch.
And one of those is in Spanish.

Matt