[TriLUG] OT: best home wireless router?

David Matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Mon Jun 15 14:50:42 EDT 2009

I'd like to tap the collective intelligence of TriLUG and seek advice on a
new home wireless access point.  My vintage Linksys is still going strong,
but I'd really love to have a whitelist for known friendly MAC addresses.
I'm pretty sure this is a common feature these days, but I'm more
interested in what new whiz-bang things are out there that I don't know
about.

I'm leaning towards another Linksys because of the incredible service this
one has given me, but am open to other vendors.  After doing a little
research this morning, I found a few that look interesting (mostly because
they claim to have firewall technology built-in).

from: http://www.firewallguide.com/

1) http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=530
2)
http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-secure-wireless-router.htm

This would be for a very mixed environment (Macs, PCs, Linux, shared
storage & printing), yet my needs are fairly basic.  I want the MAC
whitelist and a relatively secure router.  What say you?

David M.