[TriLUG] "awk, bash date, sleep" sed od man; chown perl, grep cat, rm tail, finger toe, rm tar

Peter Neilson neilson at windstream.net
Mon Jun 29 21:04:31 EDT 2009

Aaron Joyner wrote:

> PPPS - Yes, you could do it all with perl, but that'd be cheating.

I got into perl one day when I was finding bash too cumbersome and/or
slow. Perl isn't cheating any more than C is, unless you're a "real man"
who codes in ones and zeros. (Did you know that the original Burroughs
B5000 Algol compiler was hand-coded in numeric machine instructions? And
that the compiler was a limited one-shot edition intended to compile
only one thing: the Algol version of the same compiler. There was no
assemply language or assembler for the B5000, B5500, B65000 series. Were
they cheating?)