[TriLUG] Name server question

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Thu Jul 2 13:02:51 EDT 2009

Steve Kuekes wrote:
> I understand that network solutions resolves that host name, the
> question is that to resolve ns.mydomain.com they will have to query my
> DNS server.  How do they find it?  It appears that we have a loop here.
>  To find my dns server address we have to resolve a name that is served
> by my dns server.....

This is what DNS glue records are for.

Name servers in delegations appear listed by name, rather than by IP
address. This means that a resolving name server must issue another DNS
request to find out the IP address of the server to which it has been
referred. Since this can introduce a circular dependency if the
nameserver referred to is under the domain that it is authoritative of,
it is occasionally necessary for the nameserver providing the delegation
to also provide the IP address of the next nameserver. This record is
called a glue record.
-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_system#Circular_dependencies_and_glue_records

--
 GPG Fingerprint: 409B A409 A38D 92BF 15D9 6EEE 9A82 F2AC 69AC 07B9
 CACert.org Assurer