[TriLUG] Junior Sysadmin Position

Andrew Blum ajblumx at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 19:24:47 EDT 2009

Trilug,

When I was recently looking for a job (6 months ago), there only seemed
to be senior system admin jobs being posted.  I got a call from a
recruiter about this one today, and although I am no longer looking, I
thought I'd send this out for those who may be interested (I know how it
can be).  Please contact Tyler directly.

"""
The Server Support Technician maintains server infrastructure and
resolves server-related support incidents.  The Server Tech is an
escalation resource that will be assigned to resolve incidents outside
of the skill set of the Desktop Support Tech team.   Essential Duties
and Responsibilities:

Monitor performance and capacity of the servers
 Upgrade standard server software
 Ensure servers are properly configured and are regularly backed up
 Assist in image creation and definition, testing and distribution
 Resolve customer access issues, add, delete modify users, manage rule
base, manage blocked sites, manage DMZ
 Aid in troubleshooting communication related problems (Sniffer
available)
 Assist with and recommend new connectivity solutions (Ethernet, VPN)
 Assist with creation, maintenance of security policies and procedures
 Provide server/LAN monitoring and installation
 Troubleshoot and repair server hardware issues
 Enforce process for moving server/application into production
 Manage entire backup process and strategy
 Research and apply patches and service packs
 Build and configure new servers (kickstart, jumpstart, and Up2date)
 Install server infrastructure  racks, power, cables
 Perform regularly scheduled maintenance
 Create and maintain server room documentation
 Maintain login scripts
 Provide 3rd level+ technical consulting where feasible
  Support and maintain Anti-virus solution(s)
  Manage and document change control and problem reporting
  Provide 24/7 on-call support for Unix/Unix Server environment

Skill Set
 Strong knowledge level of  Linux and Solaris and associated tools
 Knowledge of Enterprise backup solution (Netbackup Data Center
preferred)
 Thorough understanding of server hardware and peripherals, including
mirrored drives and RAID arrays
 Able to demonstrate superior creative, innovative and problem solving
skills
 Able to interpret data, draw conclusions and make recommendations
 Able to analyze devices, designs, materials and processes

 Bachelors Degree or equivalent in a technical discipline
 2-3 years experience, at least one of those years as an associate
engineer

Physical Requirements
 Able to lift moderate weights less than 75 lbs.
The position is 2nd shift - 4pm to midnight, but it can be done from
home for the most part.    If anyone is interested, they can contact me
at the number below.   Thanks again!!!

Best Regards,
Tyler Siprova Senior Technical Recruiter Technisource
919.852.1977 ext 3242
tylersiprova at technisource.com
www.technisource.com
"""