[TriLUG] Fighting Ubuntu Desktop + KVM + network bridging

Bill F list.mail.for.bill at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 21:11:56 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:41 PM, Jason Herr<hobie at mail.com> wrote:
> The help site is nice, but their wiki has no discussion page.  I'm wondering
> if anyone else has gone down this path.  Is this because I use
> NetworkManager?  I've tried searching and thought I'd ask locally before I
> jump into yet another forum with yet another login/password.

Hi,
I have been doing something very similar with kvm + debian.  I
disabled NetworkManager because it will keep trying to manager your
network interfaces and doesn't seem to play well with bridged
networking.

My setup uses dhcp on the host.  Here is the /etc/network/interfaces file:
  auto lo
  iface lo inet loopback
  auto br0

  iface br0 inet dhcp
    bridge_ports eth0
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_maxwait 5

I have been using the virt-manager application to create and manage
virtual machines on the host.  This works OK and I can use dhcp on the
guest to connect to the network.  I am now looking into how to launch
VMs using a script for more flexibility ....

Bill