[TriLUG] Help with postgresql upgrade

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Mon Aug 3 13:14:23 EDT 2009

At 11:53am -0400 on Mon, 03 Aug 2009, Chander Ganesan wrote:
> Incidentally, I'm not familiar with pg_upgradecluster (it's likely a
> debian supplied tool?), but generally, the easiest way to upgrade is to
> do install the pg_dump version that comes with 8.4, dump the old (8.3 in
> your case) database with it, and then install 8.4 and re-load the database.

Not sure about that command either, but I did recently see a hype that
8.4 can do in-place upgrades with 'pg_migrator'.  Googling now, it's at
an alpha or beta stage (can't quite tell from the pgfoundry page).  I
haven't tried it, nor will I vouch for it, but it exists for the
courageous among you.  Some resources:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/In-place_upgrade
   - Explains the issues involved with in-place upgrades

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pg-migrator/
   - pg migrator download

Cheers,

Kevin