[TriLUG] mail suckback (even more OT)

Allen Freeman knieveltech at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 5 16:19:42 EDT 2009

This reminds me of an incident that happened while I was working helldesk a few years ago.

One of my coworkers was put in charge with sending out a company-wide notices when there was a service outage. Whenever anything went down he would dutifully type up a couple of paragraphs describing the nature of the outage, steps being taken to remedy the situation, and the typical boilerplate apology for lost work.

Anyway, during an unplanned service outage (I forget what tanked that time) he typed up the email, hit spellcheck in Word and then fired off the email. Apparently he'd misspelled "inconvenience" and wasn't paying enough attention to Word's spelling suggestions. Net result the email ended with "We apologize for any incontinences". The following morning there was a stack of Depends waiting on his desk when he got in.