[TriLUG] [OT] Kindle jeers? [Was e-mail suckback]

Jason Herr hobie at mail.com
Wed Aug 5 20:47:38 EDT 2009

Yeah, but that guy didn't do some fact checking first, half of the stuff
he claims isn't true.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Media-goes-crazy-over-Amazon-deleting-1984-from-Kindle-but-99cent-ebook-was-illegal-copy/1247874134

Amazon has stated in their Kindle EULA that they can take back anything
they want at any time.  It's permanent until they expressly say it isnt.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200144530&#content

Kindle is nice equipment, but the price is WAY too high for something
tied to that kind of infrastructure.   You could just use a netbook +
FBReader + Project Gutenberg and NEVER run out of books and pay less.
You're paying more for the lack of eyestrain AND whispernet
connectivity.  However, until they have a change of heart and allow
rights to the user, then I would treat whispernet as a hostile network.
  They CAN update your Kindle OS and do whatever they want, including
recording/reporting books you didn't buy, removing books you didn't buy
(from Gutenberg or other places), and it's all fair game.  Their EULA
does not limit them from that sort of activity, and the 1984 incident
was exactly such an example.

Also, there is one user who lost a set of notes on the book that was
also deleted by this process.  I don't know much of it, but the cynic in
me says this is more a play for attention/money than a real issue.  I'll
wait till the suit is settled.