[TriLUG] perl: keeping blank when split'ing string on a blank

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Aug 16 15:11:46 EDT 2009

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, Scott Lambdin wrote:

> The wheel has been invented:
> http://www.perlmonks.org/?node=Text%3A%3AParseWords

Thanks Scott,

(and thanks too Paul - but I'm going to take Scott's
solution). When I posted, I was hoping I didn't have to
parse the input one char at a time. I am counting on the
user to match quotes - they'll get no matches if they don't.

I even have Text::ParseWords already installed. I don't know
if it's part of the default installation. The original code
is from 1994!

I'd previously googled for "parse strings" but found nothing
useful. Obviously I should have tried "parse words".

Thanks

Joe