[TriLUG] Ubuntu and KVM

Jason Herr hobie at mail.com
Wed Aug 19 14:12:59 EDT 2009

I ran into this earlier...   Here's what I used for Ubuntu:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/Networking

Basically, you set up a bridge interface and run your server's network
through it.  You can then configure the vm's xml file to use it and/or
put the change into the template file for libvirt.   There are
side-effects.  Root access is needed to bring up the tap access for the
bridging.

There were assumptions made in that document that I'm still not sure I
get.  NetworkManager fights against that process pretty hard, so you'll
need to disable it (my update to the wiki).  Also, I'd suggest doing
this configuration change locally or via a IP-based KVM switch since
you're so far away.  My server got knocked off the net doing this the
first time.  (FWIW, I work for a company that makes IP based KVM
switches, and lemme tell you, it's nice, especially with virtual media).