[TriLUG] Mint Linux, Firefox & Flash problems

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Sat Aug 22 13:36:20 EDT 2009

Recently I have been experiencing some problems going to various websites
with flash video -- and not always the same behavior every time.  Firefox
will lockup and require killing.  It feels like a runaway memory leak kind
of thing, though the mem-stats don't show it.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior?  A version incompatibility?

Mint Linux 6 (12/2008): Ubuntu 2.6.27-14.37-generic
Firefox: 3.0.13 "For Linux Mint 1.0"
	- Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.13)
	  Gecko/2009080315 Linux Mint/6 (Felicia)
	  Firefox/3.0.13 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
	- DivX Browser Plugin: mplayerplug-in 3.55
	- DivX Browser Plugin: Gecko Media Player 0.7.0
	- mplayerplug-in 3.55
		- Quicktime Plugin 7.4.5
		- RealPlayer 9
		- Windows Media Player Plugin
	- Gecko Media Player 0.7.0
		- Quicktime Plugin 7.4.5
		- RealPlayer 9
		- Windows Media Player Plugin
	- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r32

running on Pentium dual-core E2200, 2.2GHz, 1GB RAM

I realize that Mint and Firefox both have upgrades right now, but I am not
ready to upgrade this box.  It seems that previously I had no problems, but
there have been some auto-updates to Firefox in the last month or so.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA