[TriLUG] Apt-Get Help!

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Sat Aug 22 19:25:37 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 06:47:11PM -0400, Brian McCullough wrote:

> Well, I built a new VM using "intrepid" instead of "jaunty."  No change.
> apt-get update works fine.  apt-get install fortune fails.

Incidentally, although I don't think I've mentioned it, I have NO
problems with the "host" machine, just with the VMs.

I tried the FTP and RSYNC mirrors.  FTP failed just like HTTP, RSYNC
said that it didn't have a transport defined that would work.  That
seems to live in /usr/lib/apt/methods, and it's right.  There is no
rsync in there.

I have searched through dselect on the main machine, and don't seem to
find anything connected to apt that refers to rsync.  I am wondering
whether, even though there are RSYNC mirrors, APT can't use them, and
they are there for other purposes, like building mirrors.

Although there isn't a lot of activity on these machines, they do have
apache and exim installed, but the only place where I am seeing any
segfaults is with apt.

Wrong.  I see one segfault from freshclam on a couple of the VMs.

Brian