[TriLUG] CentOS status

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Sat Aug 22 21:00:47 EDT 2009

Michael Kimsal said the following on 8/22/2009 8:32 PM:
> Depends on what your needs are.  I looked at centos 5.3 for a new server the
> other day - primarily a LAMP setup - and was rather shocked that PHP 5.1.3
> was the version that comes with centos 5.3.  I understand that centos
> mirrors RHEL, and RHEL is a 'conservative' distro.  However, 5.2 came out in
> Nov 06, and centos 5.3 came out in April - 2.5 years later.  If they can't
> keep the software I need moderately up to date, it's not viable.

CentOS, based on RHEL, isn't going to rev major packages except during
major updates (3 to 4 to 5, etc).  Security fixes are backported to the
released version.

The EPEL and CentOS Plus repositories often have newer versions of
things like PHP available for CentOS.

--[Lance]

--
 GPG Fingerprint: 409B A409 A38D 92BF 15D9 6EEE 9A82 F2AC 69AC 07B9
 CACert.org Assurer