[TriLUG] Looking for Embeddable Redhat-based Distro

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Tue Sep 1 14:53:28 EDT 2009

Scott Chilcote wrote:
> I'm working on a project that needs to create a small appliance that
> runs a stripped down kernel based on redhat, i.e. RHEL, CentOS, or
> Fedora.  Yes, I know enterprise != stripped down, but we need to satisfy
> our customer's various requirements.
>
> Does anyone know of a project that pares down one of these distributions
> so that it loads more quickly, and is less demanding on system resources?
>
> It also needs to be configurable so that we can include the services and
> library support our project needs, but that seems to be a given for most
> of the downsized Linux projects I've seen.

I presume you have already checked this article:
http://www.redhat.com/services/custom/embedded/

and can borrow or buy this book:
"Building Embedded Linux Systems, Second Edition
Concepts, techniques, tricks, and traps", Aug. 2008
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596529680/

Here is a talk that discusses the book:
"An array of embedded Linux expertise"
http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2008/10/an-array-of-embedded-linux-exp.html

There is also the book:
"Linux Appliance Design: A Hands-On Guide"
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9781593271404/?CMP=AFC-ak_book&ATT=Linux+Appliance+Design%2c

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA