[TriLUG] Looking for Embeddable Redhat-based Distro

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Tue Sep 1 14:53:28 EDT 2009

Scott Chilcote wrote:
> I'm working on a project that needs to create a small appliance that
> runs a stripped down kernel based on redhat, i.e. RHEL, CentOS, or
> Fedora.  Yes, I know enterprise != stripped down, but we need to satisfy
> our customer's various requirements.
> Does anyone know of a project that pares down one of these distributions
> so that it loads more quickly, and is less demanding on system resources?
> It also needs to be configurable so that we can include the services and
> library support our project needs, but that seems to be a given for most
> of the downsized Linux projects I've seen.

I presume you have already checked this article:

and can borrow or buy this book:
"Building Embedded Linux Systems, Second Edition
Concepts, techniques, tricks, and traps", Aug. 2008

Here is a talk that discusses the book:
"An array of embedded Linux expertise"

There is also the book:
"Linux Appliance Design: A Hands-On Guide"

Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA
ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net