[TriLUG] Garmin GPS and Linux

David Brain dbrain at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 21:02:32 EDT 2009

Hi,

I have an Garmin eTrex, and I'd really like to be able to load the
free Topo maps that are available here (http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/)
onto it, the Mac downloads look promising and can be ungzipped into a
giant directory tree.  Is there a way of getting these uploaded to the
GPS using Linux?

 I think the simplest method would be to build a Garmin format .img
file and drop it onto a micro sd card.  I've dug around some, but not
found any Linux utils to do this - obviously I could break down and
install MapSource under windows, but somehow that feels like failing..

Thanks,

David.