[TriLUG] Initramfs

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Thu Sep 3 13:55:25 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:48 PM, Brian McCullough<bdmc at bdmcc-us.com> wrote:
> Folks,
> I recently installed a machine from scratch ( bare drives, used LVM ),
> but didn't choose "Desktop" or "Web Server" or any of the "pre-defined"
> packages, but just let it install the minimum defaults.
> When I boot the machine, ( and I have tried the installation a couple of
> times ) I get it stalling in the middle of the boot process at an
> "(initramfs)" prompt, where I need to "lvm vgscan" followed by "lvm
> vgchange -a y" before it will successfully complete the boot.

I think I've seen this recently. In my case it was grub not being
installed properly. Easiest way to do things is to have an ext3 /boot
directly on disk (not part of LVM), and then the rest of the disk(s)
be LVM. Should work fine.

Cristóbal M. Palmer
"The fun thing is to try to persuade others to share your opinions
about what rules and what sucks. Nothing is more fun than evangelism."
  --Larry Wall