[TriLUG] Initramfs

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Thu Sep 3 13:55:25 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:48 PM, Brian McCullough<bdmc at bdmcc-us.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I recently installed a machine from scratch ( bare drives, used LVM ),
> but didn't choose "Desktop" or "Web Server" or any of the "pre-defined"
> packages, but just let it install the minimum defaults.
>
> When I boot the machine, ( and I have tried the installation a couple of
> times ) I get it stalling in the middle of the boot process at an
> "(initramfs)" prompt, where I need to "lvm vgscan" followed by "lvm
> vgchange -a y" before it will successfully complete the boot.

I think I've seen this recently. In my case it was grub not being
installed properly. Easiest way to do things is to have an ext3 /boot
directly on disk (not part of LVM), and then the rest of the disk(s)
be LVM. Should work fine.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
"The fun thing is to try to persuade others to share your opinions