[TriLUG] small office network brainstorm

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Fri Sep 11 14:49:59 EDT 2009

I'm hoping I can pitch a basic idea of what I want a small office
network to look like and get some feedback. Apologies if you're
receiving this twice.

Premises:

* There will be a browser-based config interface that works in firefox
for any and all settings. Eg. DHCP range, wifi SSID, etc.
* There will be two SSIDs: one free and open, one locked down (WPA Enterprise).
* There will be a way to identify network clients who are abusive and
either rate limit or drop them.
* The network will handle up to 90 simultaneous clients (Eg. 30 people
each with wifi laptop, wifi-capable phone, wired desktop)
* At least one VoIP phone to perform flawlessly.
* Where possible, software tools will be FOSS and hardware will be generic.

Aspirational:

* Different organizational units will be in their own VLAN.
* All VLANs can still see a shared, public printer by the coffee pot.

I've been looking at pfsense and various hardware options... I think I
have most of this worked out in my head but want to hear how you would
do the above (or why it can't possibly work) before I give you details
of what hardware I have at my disposal and how I would try to get
things done. I don't want to predispose you to one way of doing
things. Please be as detailed as you feel comfortable being in terms
of what hardware you would choose, how many and what kind of devices
you'd have doing what, what software you'd pick for what... draw
pictures if you like. Go wild. Also feel free to ping me off-list.

Part of this is an exercise for my own learning (no, it is /not/
classwork), but there's a very real chance I'll be implementing this
at a particular office in the near future.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
"The fun thing is to try to persuade others to share your opinions