[TriLUG] 501(c)(3) - Re: software is free, pizza is not

Judy Hallman hallman at email.unc.edu
Mon Sep 14 08:53:37 EDT 2009

501(c)(3) is an IRS designation that you get after incorporating with
the State. Public Information Network, Inc. (also known as RTPnet) had
to get a letter confirming our 501(c)(3) status in 2004 (in order to
receive a computer donation). I called a phone number and they faxed me
a letter. The phone number I called is probably the one in the letter
head of the fax -- see
http://www.ibiblio.org/rtpnet/archives/rtpnet-docs/irs-letter2004.pdf

Our original filing was in 1991. There was a long form (I didn't scan
the form), we sent $300 filing fee with it, and it took a couple of
months to get approval. The approval letter is at
http://www.ibiblio.org/rtpnet/archives/rtpnet-docs/irs-letter1991.pdf
and there's a little more info in meetings summaries at
http://www.ibiblio.org/rtpnet/meetings.html,
see January 21, 1991 and March 18, 1991.

Also, I just searched guidestar.org for "triangle linux" and got 0
results. If the organization is registered with the IRS as a nonprofit,
it should show up in the GuideStar database.

Judy Hallman
----