[TriLUG] OT: music hardware geeks - Roy, Jim and the like - reel to reel stuff

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Sep 23 19:17:16 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 23 September 2009 19:06:31 David McDowell wrote:
> So here's the deal. I have an old Sony model 377 that does 7.5 IPS
> (inch per second) 1/4" tape reel to reel and a TEAC A-3340 4 track
> that plays 15 and 7.5 IPS 1/4" tape reel to reel.  Neither work 100%.
> Are you aware of anyone who has one I can borrow to digitize my Dad's
> 1970's recordings?? Or if not that where I can borrow or rent one
> from? We've called a few places so far and got laughed at. Would
> greatly appreciate the help.
>
> Thanks,
> David McDowell

One possibility is to find a repair shop with an older technician who can work
on those tape decks, and fix them. I can tell you from personal experience that
the 3340 is a spectacular machine well worth repair, and probably not that
difficult or expensive to repair. I repaired several of them in the late 1970's
and early 1980's, and their quality was so good that repair was easy.

Curious -- what is not 100% on the Teac?

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US