[TriLUG] OT: music hardware geeks - Roy, Jim and the like - reel to reel stuff

Brian Blater brb.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 08:26:53 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:40 PM, David McDowell <turnpike420 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The TEAC will play for a short bit then slow down. It has been under
> its plastic protective thing for years. I told Dad we should open it
> up and use a can of air on it anyway but we haven't done that yet.
> Like I mentioned, we've called around and been laughed at so far, but
> we do prefer to find a local tech. :) so I came here for any potential
> suggestions. Glad to know at least 1 person so far knows what I'm
> talking about! So far we found a tech guy who will "restore" not
> repair it, but he is in AZ... We are trying to determine if he is
> legit.
> Thanks, David

David,

Try CLS - Custom Light and Sound in Durham
(http://www.customlightandsound.com/) I believe they will repair TEAC
and may even have something you could rent.

I was in there last month for some stuff and noticed they had a reel
to reel and asked about them, because I have one that is having a
similar problem to yours, which I think means the bands need to be
replaced. I talked with Jeff (I believe that was his name - don't have
his card with me) and he said they repair TEACs. Mine is packed in
storage so I'm not sure if mine is a TEAC and can be repaired by them.

Good luck and let me know what you find out, since I wouldn't mind
getting my working again.

Brian