[TriLUG] Unix Admin position available!

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Sep 25 09:48:53 EDT 2009

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009, Elizabeth Goodwin wrote:

> Currently seeking (2) Unix Systems Administrators with
> experience with PDI Software or RMS (typically found in
> Fuel Industries)

I always wonder about positions like this. Who are the
people hiring? They want specific experience in something
that will take a week to get a grip on and 3 weeks before
you'll be better at it that everyone else at the job. Do
they ask a taxi driver if he's ever driven a Chevolet
before. What happens when they do something new at this job?
Are they going to hire someone with expertise in the new
material? Do they ever do anything new?

I once interviewed for a job where it was critical that I
understand some EMC machine. When asked if I'd used it, I
said "no, but it has a manual?". I didn't get the job and
I'm glad.

Joe