[TriLUG] Can't boot custom compiled 2.6.30 amd64 kernel

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Fri Sep 25 11:38:48 EDT 2009

Hey all - I'm having more trouble than I ever have before booting my
newly-compiled 2.6.30 kernel. Typically make-kpkg linux-image makes a
usable .deb file, which I can install and be done with it. In this case I
keep getting:

kernel panic: no init found. Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0).

I have tried the following:

- Using the UUID addressing instead of /dev/sda1 for the root= kernel
parameter
- Compiling the kernel both with and without initrd support

Of interest is that the stock 2.6.30-amd64 kernel boots fine. I am posting
my /boot/grub/grub.cfg file and the .config file to
http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu/stuff/grub.cfg and
http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu/stuff/config for the custom kernel. I am
running debian testing. Any advice would be most helpful!

Thanks,
Andy

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu - http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Associate Professor of Sociology; Book Review Editor, _Social Forces_
University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA