[TriLUG] OT: Seeking Operations-Savvy Techno-Nerds for User-Testing

Shane O. shaneodonnell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 11:43:26 EDT 2009

All -

BlueStripe Software (my company) is starting another round of user tests
next week using our website and the latest version of FactFinder. We'd like
to find some tech-savvy operations types (e.g., NOC Level 1/Level 2 techs,
Application Administrators for complex apps, Owners of complex web sites,
etc.) to help us prove the usability (or lack thereof) of our product.

Note: Yes, I realize that trying to make a management product USABLE for our
users must be an idiotic idea since no other management products seem to
care about usability, but call me crazy -- it just might work.  ;-)

For this, our ideal test subject would be:

      * Comfortable doing basic system administration (Windows or Linux)
      * Possessing some post-high school education in a technical field (but
not necessarily a formal CS background)
      * 2+ years of experience in IT support
      * 1+ years experience with multi-tier/complex applications.
      * Familiar with modern application technologies (e.g., distributed
apps, web apps vs. CGI, n-tier apps, etc.)

We'd like to find at least 10-12 folks that roughly fit this profile. We'll
be compensating participants (gift cards equivalent to $75/hour, but don't
do it for the money -- do it for the love, my brothers and sisters). A
typical session will last a bit less than an hour.

If this is you and you've got a couple of hours to kill the week of October
5th (evening hours are fine), let me know.

Thanks -

Shane O.
=======