[TriLUG] VOIP Implementation

jonc at nc.rr.com jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Oct 5 10:52:19 EDT 2009

Jim,

Not necessarily.

We're on-net with Time Warner, so traffic from Time Warner customers never hits the internet, and the latencies are sweet - as low as 4ms for Fiber customers and about 20ms for cable customers.

Of course any time you mix Voice and Data together, you need Bandwidth shaping and QoS on your Firewall - but this is fairly simple in the Opensource world. In fact we recommend to folks the SG300 firewall which runs a Linux kernel and has very easy controls for applying QoS and Bandwidth shaping.

VoIP rocks (almost as much as Python!)

Jon Carnes
FeatureTel.com