[TriLUG] upgrading a software (md) RAID

Charles Mangin option8 at option8.com
Mon Oct 5 16:06:42 EDT 2009

i've currently got my home network server running a three drive RAID
system. it's running md (software RAID) under Fedora 11.

the drives in there are 500 gigs, and with the prices of 1+ Tb drives
coming down so low, i'd like to increase capacity. ideally, i'd like
to do it without having to migrate my data to some intermediary device
while i build a whole new RAID.

is there a good tutorial (that i've yet to find by googling) that has
a good step-by-step on how to do this? the process, as i understand
it, is to replace one drive at a time, rebuilding the array each time.
once all the larger drives are in place, the final rebuild will show
the new capacity. there's bound to be some mdadm fiddling necessary as
well...

Charles Mangin
Option8, LLC - Making Macs happy since 1999.
option8 at option8.com | http://www.option8consulting.com
mobile: 919.368.7167
skype: option8llc