[TriLUG] upgrading a software (md) RAID

Ronald Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 16:13:32 EDT 2009

Honestly, I would install the new drives, build the new array, create
your partitions/filesystems, then rsync the data over.  Let it run for
a few days before removing the 500G drives just to make sure you don't
have any hardware problems with the new drives.

Doing the one-by-one approach is time consuming and be fatal if one of
the new drives is bad.

Hope this helps...

-Ron