[TriLUG] upgrading a software (md) RAID

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at hrivnak.org
Tue Oct 6 00:50:51 EDT 2009

Be careful with big drives in RAID.  The fault tolerance comes out to be not
great, and when you are syncing an array, one bad read can be detrimental.

For example, checking the specs on a Seagate 1TB 7200.12 SATA drive, the
maximum "nonrecoverable read errors" is "1 per 10^14 bits read".  My math says
that at their standard, for every 11.4TB read, there will likely be a read
failure.  So if your array needs to resync, a 2-drive array has a 9% chance of
failing the sync.  Worse yet, a degraded 3-drive RAID5 array would have an 18%
chance of getting a read failure during sync, which could fail out a second
drive and leave you in real hot water.

Of course this assumes that the drives are right at the edge of their
reliability standard, but it is possible that average drive reliability is
better.  If you decide to risk it, at least keep this in mind.

Michael