[TriLUG] Firefox behavior

Jeff Schornick jeff at schornick.org
Fri Oct 9 12:17:47 EDT 2009

> Just out of curiousity, why do you have FF running for 2-3 *days*?

As someone who does the same, it's all about efficiency and
convenience.  Given how much of our computing experience is centered
around a web browser, it doesn't make sense to destroy and recreate
that state multiple times a day.  Yes, there are solutions to
restoring state between sessions, but there are also solutions to your
authentication concerns which don't require closing the browser.

Consider scaling the situation up the stack.  Do you log out of your
window manager after every computing session?  Even if you do, do you
then completely shut down your system?  My lord man, don't you know
there are authentication tokens floating around in those memory chips?

I think a key point is that regardless of how you use it, Firefox
shouldn't be crashing.

To the OP -- have you tried migrating to the 3.5 branch of Firefox?
It's quite a bit snappier and continues to make gains in terms of
memory management.

  - Jeff