[TriLUG] Firefox behavior

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Fri Oct 9 17:36:52 EDT 2009

At 4:37am -0400 on Fri, 09 Oct 2009 Scott Hall wrote:
> Question for FireFox users on Ubuntu: are you having a problem keeping
> the process alive?

Yes, but it's one of those "paper cuts" with which I've learned to live
and for which to prepare.  Obviously, I've set FF to load my windows and
tabs from last time.  Then, when it does crash, at least I can get back
to where I was.  Not perfect, but better than nothing.  See below ...

> I tend to open multiple windows (usually 5 or 6) each with from 10 to
> 30 tabs open.

Right there with you.  I've gotten to the point that I actually keep my
projects separated into multiple profiles.  This lets me keep myself
somewhat organized and focused on the project at hand, and also keeps
the Awesome Bar more on target with that which I'm working and need at
any given moment.

To this end, I got chastised in #trilug for not using certain extensions
to help manage tabs, but having now tried some of those extensions, they
still don't truly keep my separate activities ... separate.  As an
example, reference the Awesome Bar separation; or a separate list of
bookmarks; or separate download areas for different projects; or
separate connection settings ...  For as many tabs and different
contexts with which I work, making use of profiles was a major personal
find.  (In this light, Jeff, you're response about "efficiency and
convenience" is dead on.)

If you're interested, the trick is to modify whatever shortcut you use
to start FF with two command line arguments:

$ firefox -no-remote -ProfileManager

-no-remote says to *not* just make a new window attached to a running
instance, but instead start a new-one.

-ProfileManager starts the little profile selection box.

So, it still doesn't respond to the broken behavior of "just dying
randomly" (I suspect largely due to a certain misbehaving Adobe product,
usually from advertisements), but it does mitigate the issue and speed
up recovery time.

Cheers,

Kevin

P.S. For reference, I currently have 25 different profiles, about 15 of
which I actively use in a month.