[TriLUG] TV Tuner, Linux, and QAM

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Sat Oct 10 22:07:21 EDT 2009

Jason Evans wrote:
> I'm looking at investing in a new TV Tuner card and I'm looking for
> suggestions on cards and on PVR software for Linux.  I's like to stay under
> $100, be able to record to HDD like a DVR/PVR and be able to watch/record
> digital cable stations as well.  The big question is about the card itself.

I've got a similar project, and was just going to ask this same question...
I would also ask for recommendations on two tuners, either dual port or
cards that are cheap enough and play nice with multiple cards in the box.

>  Which ones do ATSC/QAM that actually work under Linux and have hardware
> encoding rather than bogging down my CPU?  I'm not thrilled about installing
> Freevo but I will if that's the only Linux software that will do what I
> need.  Any suggestions would be great.

However, instead of Freevo, I'm leaning more toward Mythbuntu myself.  I
wouldn't mind comments on this selection, as well as what hardware to look
for.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA