[TriLUG] Cheap Local LAMP hosting?

Paul Bennett paul.w.bennett at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 16:42:04 EDT 2009

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:21:03 -0400, Cristóbal Palmer <cmp at cmpalmer.org>
wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 4:15 PM, Michael Kimsal <mgkimsal at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> What's "cheap" to you?

"Cheap" is "as cheap as possible". We're currently hosting our static
content on a volunteered consumer-grade PC and volunteered bandwidth, with
a cheapo monthly registrar. We *could* continue down that road, but we'll
probably need to drag ourselves kicking and screaming into the 21st
century if our IT plans are to come to full fruition.

>> I'd recommend a low-end VPS from slicehost.com or linode.com and then
>> you're in complete control.

> +1
>
> Linode is the better bang for the buck, while slicehost (last time I
> checked) has more sane user management for the web interface, so if
> contractors come and go you can give them access in a way that doesn't
> involve creation and deletion of accounts.

Contractors are unlikely to come and go. Right now, the IT staff consists
of me and one other guy, plus I'm trying to talk my wife into making some
of the static content.

> Also the slicehost
> interface is pretty amazingly simple/easy, while the linode one has
> every knob and button you could think of. I use both. I like both.

Web control panels don't really concern me too much, as long as I can get
ssh access. I suppose if one of the other volunteers is ready, willing,
and able to perform a little light admin, "simple" would be way to go.

I'm getting good reviews of both slicehost and linode from elsewhere, too.
So far, it seems pretty close to a cointoss between the two.

Thanks everyone for all the quick and useful replies,

--
Paul